Sunday, February 5, 2017

The Non-Propositional Gospel

James K.A. Smith in You Are What You Love (2016), writes,

". . . the gospel isn't just information stored in the intellect; it is a way of seeing the world that is the very wallpaper of our imagination. . . Our imaginations are captured poetically, not didactically. We're hooked by stories, not bullet points. The lilt and cadence of poetry have the ability to seep down into our imagination in a way a dissertation never could." (p107)

Which makes you wonder why I'm about to embark on 3 years of dissertation writing, I guess I'll have to make sure I keep writing songs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus treats the Syrophoenecian Woman as a Disciple

[This is an extract from my essay "Breaking Bread: The Power of Hospitality in the Gospel of Mark" which you can read in full and ...